Wednesday, July 16, 2014

The thing about being vague...

Source: photo taken by the author.
Has your College Composition professor returned one (or more) of your papers marked up with the words “vague” or “too abstract”? Alternatively, perhaps you were urged to be more “specific” or “concrete” in your writing?

Vague writing lacks concrete, specific details and tends to induce sleep in readers. Two words I almost invariably circle in student writing and mark as vague are “things” and “something.” These are the kind of words that slip easily into first-draft writing, but must be hunted ruthlessly while revising and replaced with better words.

In the revision stage of my own writing, whenever I find myself using the word “thing” or “things,” I always ask myself, “What is the thing that I’m thinking of?” The answer to that deceptively simple question will usually be a stronger, more specific word.

For example, take the vague sentence, “This is one of the things that prevents people from achieving their dreams.” Try my method of asking, “What are the things that I’m thinking of?” Are they obstacles? Barriers? Traps? Any of these words is more precise (and therefore better) than “things.”

Two other words I frequently circle as vague are “aspects” and “facets.” These words are often used to describe various sides of an issue. Technically, a “facet” is a face on a cut gemstone. The more facets a diamond has, the shinier it tends to be. Both “aspects” and “facets” have become bland clichés and should be replaced with fresher, more specific language.


I hope this brief discussion will help you avoid being vague. You’re a college writer now. It’s time to be specific!


 © 2014 Bob Dial.  All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment