Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Do you know Bill? William? Willie? Try Shakespeare.

Source: Wikimedia Commons public
domain photo (with text added by
the author).
One perplexing characteristic I see in student writing -- and perhaps it is emblematic of the increasingly relaxed formality of modern life -- is the use of first names to indicate famous people (usually authors) in the papers I grade. Thus, I’ll read a sentence like the following: “Some scholars believe that William wrote Macbeth in 1603 to coincide with the investiture of King James of Scotland.” Wow, my 16-year-old high school student is on a first-name basis with William Shakespeare. Who knew?


This usage of first names is, of course, improper. The right way is to use the full name upon first reference, and then last name only (or pronouns) for subsequent references. Thus: “William Shakespeare … he … Shakespeare … he … he … Shakespeare,” etc. Obviously, in a lengthy essay or a book-length work, the full name will be repeated occasionally.


The only time it’s appropriate to reference first name only would be when describing the author as a child. It would sound too stiff to refer to Shakespeare asleep in his crib or teething. It’s okay to use William or Will (or whatever his parents called him) in that case.


As for me? I’m Mister Dial to my high school students. I tell them that my parents named me “Mister” because they knew I was going to become a teacher…

© 2014 Bob Dial.  All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment